Heavy Hangs The Bandwidth That Torrents The Crown

The latest Oatmeal cartoon has been making the rounds of Twitter (largely thanks to John Gruber’s link). It makes two points about the problems of piracy exceptionally well.

The intentional point is that the content distributors often make it crazy-stupid hard for us to give them our money. Most of these industries have been frustratingly slow to adopt to the patterns of the modern consumer. News flash: we’re not heading to Blockbuster Video any more. Well, actually, yes, we are. But only because the Blockbuster went out of business and a Panera Bread is now leasing that space. We’ll probably get a Bacon Turkey Bravo for lunch and then watch some Netflix via the restaurant’s free WiFi while we eat.

[Added to clarify: and if they don’t show up in those places, they’re making torrenting that much more attractive. They’re just feeding the monster they’re trying to fight. That’s crystal-clear.

Remember the mistakes that the comic book industry made. Digital distribution made no sense to Marvel and DC, so they never really committed to it. Fine, but reading a comic book on a phone or a laptop made perfect sense to their audience, and they’re the people with the money. In the absence of a legal means of digital comics distribution, an illegal infrastructure of file standards, consumption tools, and distribution systems developed and flourished.]

The Oatmeal made an unintentional point that was just as important as the first, however:

Here’s my conversation with a hypothetical person who wants to check out “Game Of Thrones.” Not with Matthew Inman, author of The Oatmeal, I hasten to say. Just a conglomeration of the species of torrenters as a whole.

You want to see what the hubbub around “Game Of Thrones” is about? Cool. The show is produced by HBO and it’s available exclusively on that channel. It’s a premium channel and any cable provider can sell you a monthly subscription.

HBO’s awesome. They have a streaming app that will allow you to watch pretty much any original series or movie that they still have the rights to (including “Thrones”) and it works with almost everything that can play streaming video. HBO doesn’t even charge for the app or for the extra access.

You say you don’t want to subscribe to HBO, or even cable?

Ah. Well, no worries. The show will be released on DVD and Blu-ray later in the year.

You’re not into physical media? I’m with you. It’ll be on iTunes soon. See? The store page lists the release date. March 6. You can circle it on the calendar and everything.

You’re still frowning. What’s wrong, Scrumpkin?

Oh. You want it right now.

Yes, I heard you (please, sir, there’s really no need to shout). I understand that you want it (and I hope I’m not misquoting you) right the ****ity-**** NOWWWWWWWW. But you can’t have it now. You can have it on March 6. It isn’t even as far away as you think. Remember? February is the super-short month?

(Sigh)

You’re already torrenting it, aren’t you?

Annnnd now you’re also calling me a d*** because I expected you to wait two weeks, and you’re claiming that you’re “forced” to torrent it because the video industry is bunch of turds. How charming.

Here’s the terms of use for commercial content: you have to pay for this stuff. This means either you need to wait for it to become commercially available, or if you torrent it today you need to buy it when it gets released. So long as you buy it as soon as it’s possible to do so, I can confidently reach for my “No Harm Done” rubber stamp. Some content is commercially unavailable because the publisher or distributor has no desire to ever release it. I’ll even go so far as to say that downloading it illegally is a positive thing; you’re helping to keep this creative work alive.

If you avoid purchasing the media in some form, however…you’re just Johnny No Wanna Pay. Simple as that. Get off your high horse and don’t even try that “I’m making a stand and sending a message to content producers” stuff. It’s bunkum.

I’m reminded of a Louis CK joke. I’m going to clean up a little because I’m not Louis CK and this isn’t a live comedy stage. It really wouldn’t come across the same way otherwise.

“I’m totally opposed to stealing an Xbox. Unless Microsoft sets a price for them that I don’t want to pay, or there’s a new model in a warehouse somewhere and it won’t ship to stores for another few weeks. Because what else am I going to do? Not have that Xbox? That’s no solution!”

The world does not OWE you Season 1 of “Game Of Thrones” in the form you want it at the moment you want it at the price you want to pay for it. If it’s not available under 100% your terms, you have the free-and-clear option of not having it.

I sometimes wonder if this simple, grown-up fact gets ignored during all of these discussions about digital distribution.

It was still a funny strip, though.

« Older Comments
  1. john harrison
    john harrison says:

This article fails to address the real issue. The issue isn’t that pirates/downloaders have an obnoxious sense of entitlement. That isn’t a problem you can solve. The problem is that there is content that people are willing to pay for that is simply not available in a reasonable way. It is convenient today to use Game of Thrones as an example because it comes out on March 6th. HBO is leaving money on the table by not making it available in a reasonable way.

I’m sure that HBO is annoyed that it is available for free download, but HBO can’t stop that. HBO can only mitigate that by making content available at a reasonable price and at a reasonable time. Have they maximized their return with this pricing and timing?

I don’t know the answer to that. I’ve pre-ordered through Amazon and am waiting for the discs to arrive, but I can sympathize with those that want it now.

2. Zed
    Zed says:

“As to the original point, downloading without paying is simple theft, just as not paying for dinner from a restaurant is theft. It’s very simple really. The “entitled” group who thinks everything should be their possession for free as long as it’s digital or whatever are simple thieves.”

No. My original point was that it is not this simple. Legally, “simple theft” and “copyright infringement” are different – and the weight of evidence suggests that most disinterested parties would find there is a genuine moral difference. I’m not saying piracy isn’t wrong, but primate morality is pretty consequentialist. The primate brain thinks: every single Montenegrin could torrent Game of Thrones and HBO wouldn’t lose a dollar, therefore, who has been wronged? Legally, that’s pure rationalisation. I’m not sure it’s always clear-cut from a moral point of view (and TV shows in particular are a greyer area than movie piracy) – it seems to me that morality is mostly rationalisations anyway.

I do find it interesting how these arguments tend to exemplify fundamental attribution errors. The anti-piracy people blame nasty thievy thieves, the pirates are all, well my actions made sense given the circumstantial contraints.

3. Jeremy
    Jeremy says:

It is interesting how the media conglomerate industry continuously manages to convince themselves, unlike all other industries, that the customer is never right and the company can serve itself. This is in stark contrast with every other industry and indeed any other customer/client or customer/proprietor relationship wherein the person spending the money is never wrong, and the customers needs are the reason the business exists in the first place.

4. Pender
    Pender says:

“The world does not OWE you Season 1 of “Game Of Thrones” in the form you want it at the moment you want it at the price you want to pay for it.”

This has been the mournful cry of the content people from day one. Guess what? It’s not working. The comic has it exactly right.

5. Peter Austin
    Peter Austin says:

True story: I really wanted to watch Game of Thrones, but it wasn’t available easily in the UK, and I don’t use torrents. This left a sour taste in my mouth, so I decided to never watch any of the series.

This seems to be what you would want, but I can’t for the life of me see how anyone benefits. Certainly the author George RR Martin loses, because if I’d liked the series I would almost certainly have bought the books.

6. Xucrutao
    Xucrutao says:

You don’t need to buy an ocean when u need a bathtub. Im listing ur post as one of the worst I did read in my whole life, congratz!

7. S
    S says:

Or what about this?

The world doesn’t “owe” the content creators to wait for things they want, unnecessarily.

If something exists, the free market WILL ensure that it gets into the hands who wish to hold it. Content creators, once they have created content and released it into ANY segment of ANY market, should fully expect that it WILL percolate to ALL SEGMENTS of the market in a predictable fashion.

This is not a “moral” issue; this is a law of nature. Arguing with it is arguably immoral, and unarguably stupid.

The wise content creator respects the laws which govern the market he operates within, and moves the content to all segments as quickly as possible, to stay ahead of the percolation which will naturally occur anyway — the stupid content creator tries to build little walls around the content, but ultimately builds walls only around himself.

8. Charles
    Charles says:

These comments are fascinating. So many people have these detailed, well-thought out arguments for why it’s okay to illegally download media, ignoring the beautifully laid-out arguments of this article.

The fact is, you don’t need to see the Game of Thrones. Ever. It’s not like a medicine you need to live. It’s not like a wheelchair without which you can’t leave your apartment. It’s some TV show. There are, in existence right now, more TV shows and movies on video or available from Netflix or Hulu Plus than you can ever watch in your entire life. No one is starved for stuff to watch. If HBO chooses to not offer easier, quicker, more convenient ways to watch a show, you can argue that this is foolish in the modern age, but you can’t argue that they don’t have the right to make business decisions the way they want, and you can’t argue that just because there is an easy, illicit way to get something, that HBO is bringing on themselves if people pirate their stuff.

The pro piracy argument is like saying, there’s this caviar I love, but the only place I can get it is in this one restaurant, and I don’t want to get it in a restaurant, I want it at home, and it’s not sold online, and the truck passes right by my house and they stop for coffee and leave the back open so I can just grab a jar, so if that’s the only convenient way to get the caviar I want, it’s okay to take it. Then they combine this with the, “it’s not really stealing because there’s no physical object to steal” argument. The latter argument is more interesting, but the former argument is ridiculous, because YOU DON’T NEED CAVIAR.

I’m not saying I’ve never pirated anything. But, as someone else noted here, I’m not going to claim that it’s the fault of the people making the media. I accept that what I’m doing is shady, and I’m just not a highly moral person. But at least I’m honest about it.

9. Asaf
    Asaf says:

“You’re still frowning. What’s wrong, Scrumpkin?

Oh. You want it right now.

But — umm — the release date is only, like, two or three weeks away. Just hang on a bit. You’ll be fine.”

Here’s the thing, Cupcake. Why is the release date two or three weeks away? Certainly not because it’s impossible to get it out in that time. It is possible to get it out the same day the episode airs, with a small delay. This we know because it is being done.

So, Muffin, why? Now, I’m sure there’s some sort of business decision behind it, but ultimately it’s the will of an executive. They’re saying “We could easily give it to you exactly how you want and exactly when you want it, but we don’t want to”. Which really sounds like “f**k you, customer” from this end. It is understandable that the customer will reply in kind. As you say, they retain the technical right to not release it in that fashion. To say otherwise would be “entitlement”. But to scream that they should be paid for what they are releasing when customers are clearly showing that that’s all they want to buy seems to me to be equal “entitlement” (or is it a “bailout” when suits do it?).

Now, I’m not even going to get into the fact that they don’t seem to want the money of filthy non-Americans for this show or any other – most of the panels in the comic could be replaced with “wait, I live outside the U.S, so that’s not available”.

10. adrian
    adrian says:

@Charles

HBO most certainly is bringing it on themselves. If a car dealer had no security and left every car on the lot gassed up with the keys and title papers inside, when cars inevitably got stolen, I imagine people would say he brought it on himself. I know his insurance carrier would. Ultimately, it’s HBO’s content and it’s their right to control how and when people consume it but if they don’t consider real world behavior when they do so, they will have to deal with the consequences.

11. Osbo
    Osbo says:

HBO needs to live off of its subscriptions and DVD sales, and it has deals with cable companies that prohbit them from streaming without cable subscriptions.

The outdated model here is cable. It was a private network that has since found itself irrelevant and hasn’t made it easy for content consumers and providers to connect since.

Even when they’re also ISPs.

12. John Holderried
    John Holderried says:

I know I’m weighing in on the issue very late here – but I kind of see both sides of this, which makes it a very interesting time to be alive.

I work for a filmmaker, so I’m in favor of protecting an independent artist’s work. I work toward having his films removed from file-sharing sites when I find them posted.

However, as a consumer I also find that the release of films via cable and DVD is a baffling system. If there’s any rhyme or reason to it, it’s beyond me. I have been known to download a film (maybe 2 times out of 1,000) when it is not commercially available to me via premium cable or DVD at the time I want it.

I’m going to date myself by making this analogy, but does anyone remember cassette tapes? And how you felt when you got a boombox in the 1980’s that allowed you to tape songs directly off the radio?

Here was this song, which was a product, and it was just floating out there on the radio airwaves, and you could put it on cassette, and listen to it again and again – cut it into a mix tape, and share it with friends or that special someone.

The funny thing is, nobody at the time called it “stealing” – you were just making a copy from free radio, to listen to again and again. Was it the best copy? No, probably not, since the DJ might have annoyingly talked over the song’s intro, and if you copied your copy, it got worse and worse.

So, really you were better off buying the real single, or the whole album even – that way you got a good quality recording, maybe even caught on to some new songs by the same artist. The radio station won, the record store won, the artist won and the audience was entertained.

But the record company never prosecuted anyone for taping songs off the radio. Once they went out over the airwaves, they were kind of fair game. That, and the fact that Capitol Records wouldn’t file legislation to recover the cost of a $2.99 cassingle.

So here we are, and the songs are now movies, the boombox is the interweb, but the principle is the same. The entertainment industry, built on a framework of promotion, will cry all the way to the bank, but fails to realize that each person who is a consumer is also a promoter.

No one lives in a bubble, so if you can’t or won’t pay for something, at least tell your friends how awesome it was. A recording artist’s goal is to sell records – but even that kid who recorded that Prince song off the radio could become a Prince fan. Which means that down the road he’s more likely to buy Prince posters, Prince t-shirts, and Prince concert tickets. And that’s where the real money is anyway, building your brand across the platforms.

There’s petty theft in any distribution model. If it becomes too rampant, however, it raises prices and hurts only those willing to stick to the letter of the law. Instant gratification, therefore, is penny wise and pound foolish.

And if a company’s release timetable is unsatisfactory, TELL THEM. HBO/Time Warner is probably waiting for the holiday season or the soft 2nd quarter to release a DVD for some arcane accounting reason, but when the industry is flooded with requests, they’ve been known to capitulate.

13. John Holderried
    John Holderried says:

(continued)

When I was a kid, my father never went to the cinema. Partially this was because he was always working, but it confused me that he never took the opportunity to go to the movies on nights and weekends.

“Why?” he asked. “Eventually everything will be on TV, and it will be free.”

Dad was right, of course, but he was also wrong.

He’s a patient man, and was willing to wait for a cut-up version, with commercials, to be sent right to his living room, even if that took 5 or 10 years.

(Back in those days, we had movies, and we had 3 networks that occasionally showed movies – no HBO, no VHS, no DVD, and no internet)

But Dad was also wrong – I had to drag him to the theater to see “Star Wars” and “Ghostbusters”, which he enjoyed. I became a cinemaphile despite Dad’s disdain for the big screen. And I NEEDED to see those films right away, because I needed to talk about them with my friends, and I needed to love Star Wars.

Dad also held out when cable TV came along – “Why pay for TV when I can get it for free?” So I grew up in a house without cable – and as an adult, I pay for premium cable so I can, theoretically, get movies faster.

I also bought cable for Mom + Dad, who didn’t realize what they were missing. They love watching network shows on demand now –

My point is, the world changed. The big companies created their distribution channels, and the internet was invented, and you can’t unring either bell. Laws, particularly copyright laws and the enforcement thereof, tend to lag behind by a decade or so.

But no one should take their disdain out on Andy for expressing his opinion – because in so doing, you express your own opinion, only in a nastier way. And you can’t fault him for doing the same thing as you.

Don’t shoot the messenger if you don’t like the message.

14. Random thoughts on the Big
    Random thoughts on the Big says:

The relatively complete anonymity of surfing the web coupled with the ability to “take” (download) almost anything without penalty fosters an “obnoxious” sense of entitlement. How do we change that?

15. John
    John says:

No comments about how several statistical studies have concluded that torrent users are much more likely to ultimately purchase physical/digital copies than non-torrent users?

16. Yamyam
    Yamyam says:

Wait, most of the comments calling people out on being “pro-pirates” are just using that as an ad hominem excuse to not look at what’s being said…? That’s silly, and it reinforces the thought that you’re just speaking from your high horse with your blinders on. A psychiatrist speaking about why arsonists burn down houses is no more an arsonist than people pointing out the dynamics that drive piracy are pirates. All that’s being said is literally this: “Due to the way the free market has evolved, if you make something which people want either impossible or overly convoluted to obtain via legal means and there is a nearly risk-free, fast, easy alternative, they’ll probably take that alternative.” This is not “supporting piracy,” “rationalizing,” or whatever other mud you want to sling, it’s pointing out the very obvious dynamic that both the condescending jackasses commenting on the webcomic all over the web and the media conglomerates are somehow too willfully ignorant to recognize.

17. Nigel C
    Nigel C says:

You are right. So are the content providers. Right in every way. Sometimes I go sailing and on a sailboat I have right of way over 300,000 ton supertankers. However I choose always to give way. If there was a collision I would be similarly right in every way. Also dead.

18. Marc
    Marc says:

There’s no iTunes TV-Series, HBO or Netflix in the country I live (or in many countries other than the US).

There is simply no availability other than the physical shipment many months later. Try to avoid spoilers until then.

19. Jans
    Jans says:

I am only confused by one thing…
    I can understand waiting a year for the DVD series because they want to add behind the scenes stuff and everything…..but wait…wasn’t all that behind the scenes stuff already made before and during the run of season 1?
    We just want to watch the shows. They aired a year ago. Why does it take a year for an already aired show to get on iTunes?

20. Jonathan
    Jonathan says:

Just checked iTunes: no Game of Thrones episodes to download, no HBO app. NZ is out of luck. What do you expect people do to? I don’t plan to be a pirate, so I guess I’ll just never see this series ever. Is that a win for anyone?

21. Argyle
    Argyle says:

This is the same thing I deal with with 30 ROCK! Now, a bit of history. 30 ROCK used to be available to stream on my Roku using Hulu Plus (which I pay for). For $8 a month I can watch this, Daily Show and Colbert. It was a sweet deal, and all was well. I watched season 5 of 30 ROCK in my cord-cutted house last season on the ROKU with my wife. We watched on our terms. Sometimes we’d go a month a half without watching and then be able to sit down on a Sunday and blast through 6-8 episodes in a 3 hour session.

What happened now, is that the DAY that season 6 started to air on free terrestrial televison, mind you, Hulu moved 30 ROCK to this bullshit “web only” section, and additionally limits access to the last 5 aired shows, even for PAYING customers. I was furious. It’s not bad enough that the episodes only go back 5 shows, but they took away my convenience factor of being able to watch when I want, often delayed viewing by weeks, and where I want, on my couch.

My option has changed to, grab some chairs and put them around the computer, hun. We better watch these episodes before they “expire”. Are you kidding me. I can understand those limitations for the free service, but for something I PAY for, that is unacceptable.

So it comes down to… should I buy an Amazon pass to reclaim that convenience, and freedom to watch on my couch on my own time, on top of the monthly subscription I was already paying and was used to from previous seasons… or should I torrent?

The answer is simple. Fix your system content providers. I routinely buy from Amazon Video on Demand. I have a Hulu Plus and Netflix subscription. I will skip shows I want to watch that I can’t access (ie: Game of Thrones and Life’s Too Short). But I will NOT, read my lips, NOT PAY FOR CONTENT MULTIPLE TIMES IN ORDER TO “FIX” SOMETHING THAT DIDN’T NEED TO BE BROKEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I’m done.

22. Johnny
    Johnny says:

Reading over this comment thread is quite amusing and rich with irony. I especially like the comments that in effect say, “You’re totally missing the point Andy. This show isn’t available in my country or is a year late, so of course I’m going to pirate it. What other choice do I have?!” LOL.

Pirating is illegal, plain and simple. Any arguments to justify it are just rationalizations.

23. Dave Guinee
    Dave Guinee says:

I’m pretty much stunned by many of these responses, which are just elaborate rationalizations of theft. I agree with you that no harm is done when someone pays in some form for the content, but the point is that I don’t have any right to content that I don’t pay for. I’d argue that clean water is something we might consider a right, but access to 30 Rock is not.

Above someone talks about how the free market is taking care of the situation, but that’s confusing the free market with the black market. When someone steals digital material and then distributes it free, without the owner’s consent, that is not the operation of the free market. The free market involves the ability to produce and sell goods at prices that the market creates.

I in no way think the content creators are being smart about this or that they shouldn’t adapt to what their customers want (within reason — they have no responsibility to give out content for free). Their stupidity, however, is not a license for my cupidity.

At least as worrisome to me as their distribution policies are the ways in which the major studios routinely cut the writers, actors, and other content creators out of the profit loop for digital content, and much of what your readers see as their simple stupidity and reluctance to adapt to a new way of business is, I’m sure, a result of how they’ve crafted their contracts with writers and actors guilds. Part of what they are doing is undoubtedly avoiding payment of residuals, so that what they lose in immediate sales they may gain in decreased expenses.

24. Kate Fitzsimons
    Kate Fitzsimons says:

You know, there’s a difference between justification of behavior and a pragmatic look at the commercial realities of the situation.

Commercially speaking, it is entirely predictable that people will want to buy the first season of your new hit show in time for the second season. Should they take it by other means? No. Are you, business-wise, foolish not to take advantage of the desire to purchase your product? Yes.

25. Ilya
    Ilya says:

I have no interest in vast majority of HBO content. I’d be perfectly happy to pay HBO to download Game of Thrones, and a few other shows I actually want. In fact, I’d be willing to pay more per episode than HBO ends up getting from sale of DVD’s. Except HBO will not sell them to me. All it will sell is a subscription. How would you feel if you asked a butcher for two pounds of beef, and were told “Sorry, we only sell a whole steer”?

1. […] Andy Inhatko writes, this is indicative of a truly amazing sense of entitlement. In what other business is this […]

2. […] Ihnatko?????????? […]

3. […] ????Oatmeal???????????Andy Ihnatko?????????? […]

4. […] Ihnatko?????????? […]

5. […] ????Oatmeal???????????Andy Ihnatko???????? ?? […]

6. […] ????Oatmeal???????????Andy Ihnatko???????? ?? […]

7. […] Ihnatko?????????? […]

8. […] of entitlement do. That’s basically the approach that Andy Ihnatko suggested, in his post “Heavy Hangs the Bandwidth That Torrents the Crown”. That was one of the most perfect articles ever written about the topic. At least, it was before […]

9. […] a TV programme) it can actually be really hard to pay for the content. There’s also this critique of the Oatmeal’s position that, in summary, says: “just grow up and play the game according to the content […]

10. […] on the other side, we have Andy Ihnatko: The world does not OWE you Season 1 of “Game Of Thrones” in the form you want it at the moment […]

11. […] Heavy Hangs The Bandwidth That Torrents The Crown – Andy Ihnatko’s Celestial Waste of Bandwi… […]

12. […] I’m in agreement with Andy Ihnatko at his Celestial Waste of Bandwidth column. He nails it in Heavy Hangs The Bandwidth That Torrents The Crown when he writes about Inman’s piece: The intentional point is that the content distributors […]

13. […] A more reasonable take on the issues outlined in the oatmeal comic, that recently caused a stir, than Andy Ihnatko’s response. […]

14. […] weten we allemaal dat downloaden illegaal is. En we moeten ons niet voelen alsof we in ons recht staan als we ‘uit noodzaak’ downloaden. Je doet het gewoon maar via de tv, of anders wacht je […]

15. […] strip I mentioned a few days ago has stirred up some controversy. A post on TechDirt links to both a rebuttal from Andy Ihnatko decrying the culture of entitlement that leads to people thinking they have a right to download […]

16. […] strip I mentioned a few days ago has stirred up some controversy. A post on TechDirt links to both a rebuttal from Andy Ihnatko decrying the culture of entitlement that leads to people thinking they have a right to download […]

17. […] I’m not one of those who feels a “smug sense of entitlement” to illegally download anything ever produced. Like the vast majority of consumers, I’m […]

18. […] In response to The Oatmeal’s comic, Andy Ihnatko makes a good counterargument: […]

19. […] Heavy Hangs The Bandwidth That Torrents The Crown Andy Ihnatko’s Celestial Waste of Bandwidth … […]

20. […] Ihnatko (a tech columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times) doesn’t like free[down]loaders. Marco Arment (one of the founders of Tumblr, proprietor of the very useful […]

21. […] In response to The Oatmeal’s comic, Andy Ihnatko makes a good counterargument: […]

22. […] Andy Ihnatko calls out the entertainment establishment. Consumers couldn’t make their desires any more clear. We’ve got money to spend on TV and movies, but now we’re looking for it on iTunes and Netflix and through all other kinds of network-connected devices. If a distributor shows up in any of those places with a product we want, we’ll buy it. […]

23. […] Ihnatko writes in Heavy Hangs The Bandwidth That Torrents The Crown: If you avoid purchasing the media in some form, however…you’re just one of those people who […]

24. […] Ihnatko writes in Heavy Hangs The Bandwidth That Torrents The Crown: If you avoid purchasing the media in some form, however…you’re just one of those people who […]

25. […] Andy Ihnatko had an interesting take on this […]

26. […] later that same night I came across Andy Inatko’s blog post commenting on the comic. I thought he had made a few good points in his commentary. His post is also worth the read and I […]

27. […] Ihnakto: The world does not OWE you Season 1 of “Game Of Thrones” in the form you want it at the moment you want it at the price you want to pay for it. […]

28. […] The Oatmeal Wonders Why It Can’t Have “Game Of Thrones” Freaking Now And – Andy Ihnatko’s Honor System To Gladly Pay For Today’s Hamburger On Tuesday Then – While Commenters Reject “Entitlement” Nomenclature, Mike D’Angelo […]

29. […] responses have come from Andy Ihnatko and Craig Grannell who both make a similar point – that difficulty in buying something […]

30. […] Heavy Hangs The Bandwidth That Torrents The Crown – Andy Ihnatko’s Celestial Waste of Bandwi… from Andy Ihnatko’s Celestial Waste of Bandwidth (BETA) on February 20, 2012 at 07:34PM […]

31. […] one view, you can go to what seems to be the first response from Andy Ihnatko, while Devin Faraci also weighed in at Badass […]

32. […] Andy Ihnatko made an excellent point in a blogpost which was, to quote John Gruber, who Ihnatko credited with linking to the original comic […]

33. […] Heavy Hangs the Bandwidth that Torrents the Crown: The single least-attractive attribute of many of the people who download content illegally is their smug sense of entitlement. […]

34. […] Andy Ihnatko has posted a reply to the recent cartoon over at The Oatmeal about piracy. […]

35. […] a persuasive argument is not a self-evident argument. Take the reaction from tech columnist Andy Ihnatko, who is sympathetic to Inman’s broader point about content […]