iPad comes to Verizon stores at the end of October

Well, now, isn’t this interesting: I just heard from Verizon that their stores will start selling the iPad on October 28. With 3G data packages.

Wait, it isn’t that interesting. Verizon will carry the entire range of WiFi models and pairing them with their MiFi mobile 3G WiFi hotspot. So it’s not a 3G iDevice communicating directly through the Verizon 3G network.

Still, that’s a compelling data point. Apple had been expanding the range of iPad retail outlets beyond Apple Stores and AT&T all this quarter; you can buy them at Wal*Mart, for instance. But Verizon is the first mobile wireless store that will have it…and barring another Interesting email, the online.

So! Rumors of a “sooner rathe an later” Verizon iPhone have just clicked one stop higher on the credibility scale. Mind you, it’s still firmly in the “I won’t believe it until I hear an official announcement” zone.

I’m a big fan of the MiFi. I have one, and used it exclusively for mobile and travel access for more than a year. And until my personal iPad 3G arrived, it was how I connected to the Internet with an iPad when I wasn’t at home or in The Bagel Place With The WiFi. These devices are the most economical way to get mobile broadband on as many devices as possible. You wind up paying just one monthly fee instead of two or three. It supports up to five connections at a time and works with anything that has a WiFi pulse.

Bonus: it’s a base station. I often use it just to set up a local intranet in mu hotel room, to handle file sharing and data transfers between devices.

The data plan is fair. You get one gig of data for $20 a month. No word yet om whether you need to buy it under contract or if you can go month to month.

But yes, the big deal is that Apple and Verizon have clearly allowed themselves to be seen holding hands in a restaurant. Perhaps they’re planning a summer wedding, with the release of a dual-channel GSM/CDMA phone that will work on all networks.

1. Keith
    Keith says:

I am thoroughly offended that the vuvuzela issue is being raised yet again. I think that my kazoo is perfectly adequate for the Summer Mixer.

2. Scott Bourne
    Scott Bourne says:

LOL Andy – well SCREW Lifehacker. That’s reason number 12,234 why I couldn’t care less about that site. If it’s not cool to say THANK YOU then I hope to never be cool. And anyone who thinks that the Lifehacker post is spot on can stop emailing me right now :)

3. Mark Tattersall
    Mark Tattersall says:

Thanks Andy for your wonderful post. Very amusing. Keep them coming.

Warmest regards,
    Mark
    Sent from my iPhone

Nothing contained in this comment is of any consequence to anyone.

4. Paul Scott
    Paul Scott says:

I like it Andy! People need to be more thoughtful in this age of technology and instant communication. We never know how what we say can affect others.

5. Greg Walrath
    Greg Walrath says:

Thanks for that, Andy. I recorded the season premiere of Warehouse 13 last night, and you can imagine my joy at trying to watch it this morning and have the first 10 minutes pre-empted by wrestling, thereby cutting off the end of the episode. I was in a plenty snarky mood, and this post fit perfectly.

And yes, the folks at lifehacker can go do, um, obscene things. I’m sure if I posted something on their site like you’re responses above, I’d get plenty of suggestions about hacking my company’s e-mail server (and the proxy filter while I’m at it). I wonder how many good ideas they’ll have for employment after I get fired for doing that. I’m sure open-source development will pay at least as well as what I’m making now.

PS – hey, lifehacker — you’re mom is calling. I know you’re all they way down in the basement, but that garbage isn’t going to take itself out.

6. Ken Saigle
    Ken Saigle says:

Thanks Andy,

Sent from my iPad.

This email may or may not contain a virus. If it does, it’s not our fault. (and yes it’s a joke)

7. Scott
    Scott says:

A bit over the top, but I love funny rants like this! I see it differently, in most cases.
    Case 1: The LH intent as I read it is “be sincere”. Getting an email that is full of bad news ending with “Thanks” will make me think less of you. If you’re grateful for anything, by all means, go ahead. “Thanks in advance” is a phrase that will always semantically bug me, but I let slide.
    Case 2: I don’t care about mobile signatures, but I did change my iphone signature to “Sent from my phone”
    Case 3: I hate email legalese, but I don’t blame the sender. Merlin once said this practice is “about as legally enforceable as calling shotgun.” Love that.
    Case 4: You didn’t address, but LH is right in my view. Business-speak cliches really irk me, but it’s not worth fighting about with the person.

8. Bill Heald
    Bill Heald says:

I must weigh in w/Keith about the vuvuzuela at the Mixer issue. I also feel that Bagpipes, armed by a person who has no clue how to play the Celtic instrument, can get the job done and is much more attractive in appearance.

9. Erich S
    Erich S says:

Wow. Sounds like my marriage. The Prime Directives describe what I’ve been dealing with.

Seriously.

10. Anita T
    Anita T says:

Outstanding and deliciously funny rant! It passed my did-I-laugh-out-loud test with extra credit.

11. Colin Campbell
    Colin Campbell says:

I know that you are totally wrong on every level. Only I have a firm grip on social reality. Consult with me before saying anymore on a subject you obviously have no idea about. Don’t thank me for my offer to help, my lawyer has it covered.

Sent from hisPhone.

12. Harry Henderson
    Harry Henderson says:

Andy, you big dummy smelly stupidhead, you’re totally wrong about everything as usual!!!

Oh, and thanks for writing. Looking forward to #823. Cordially yours, Harry.

13. Skootaman
    Skootaman says:

@applauds enthusiastically@

And I wish Id got in first with “Sent from my iPhone”, but I’m still mentioning it, to say thanks :)

14. SceneThat
    SceneThat says:

Great post Andy. The whole “Thanks” thing is outrageously bad advice (I hope). Thanks.

15. Michael Critz
    Michael Critz says:

An excellent post as always, Andy.

It’s a shame Lifehacker wasted that opportunity because there are legitimate complaints to be had with the way people behave on e-mail.

Someone I know doesn’t write English clearly which makes text communication frustrating.

I have a coworker that replies too quickly and too emphatically to have bothered to have read or contemplated my message.

Finally, there are several people that ask for urgent, career-destroying, world-ending files. When I e-mail it to them don’t even say “thanks.” Which, by the way, is a great way of both expressing gratitude and indicating that the message has been received.

16. Todd Shirley
    Todd Shirley says:

Umm… take things out of context much? And then hyperbolize like crazy?

I hadn’t heard about the article at Lifehacker so I went over there to check it out after reading your post. Everything you are freaking out about is discussed intelligently in a non-snarky way (wish I could say the same for your post), and thoughtful alternatives are brought up in each of the points.

The main point of the article is that AUTOMATED and DEFAULT signatures, thank yous and legal boilerplate are annoying. Go in and personalize the “sent from my device” tag so it says a little more about you. Don’t include “Thank you” or “cheers” in your automatic signature, because it comes off as phony when you realize the person didn’t actually add it. Great example from the article: <>

17. L.
    L. says:

Having read the original piece with some disbelief – especially re: thanks and boilerplate – I must say I feel much better now that I found someone to take those whinies a couple of notches down, and to do it with some highly entertaining writing as well.

Thanks!

18. Ali
    Ali says:

You just made my day, Mr. Ihnatko. Even though I’m two weeks late.
    And @Greg, I think it is time to see that lawyer.

19. Justin DiRose
    Justin DiRose says:

The problem is our postmodern communicative mindset: the communication is all about the receiver of the message. [Very obvious from the post, Mr. Ihnatko].

David Hori’s comment above about the Lifehacker post regarding Christmas cards proves the point further. A commenter on that post talked about people having no problem receiving birthday, Valentine’s day, or anniversary cards, but freak the crap out with Christmas cards. My theory: nobody wants to hear about anyone else’s story and everyone wants to feel loved.

Thus, with e-mails, I understand people don’t like dealing with crap, but you got it right, Mr. Ihnatko.

Blow the vuvuzuela.

1. […] considering your email output, ponder the most annoying email tendencies our readers came up with. Not everybody agrees, but take them for what they are—suggestions that the most automated and pointless of email […]

2. […] considering your email output, ponder the most annoying email tendencies our readers came up with. Not everybody agrees, but take them for what they are — suggestions that the most automated and pointless of email […]